Packaging & Merchandising Design - Project 1

05/10/2022 - 19/10/2022 / Week 06 - 08
Ellyn Saw Mei Hui / 0353358
Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media 
Packaging & Merchandising Design Project 1

INSTRUCTIONS

<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XLOxa1-Dv1lj4A8sIU9B3x-C_R3ONVUd/preview" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>

TASK 1:
♡ For this task, we are to redesign a happy meal packaging along with the french fries packaging using an educational topic as the theme. After careful consideration, my initial idea was to do about Wau and Batik since kids these days don't really get the chance to learn about Malaysian Traditional Art Culture.

Fig 1.1 Happy Meal ideation

PROGRESS ( 08/09/2022 ) :  
♡ I started to look for relevant visual references on my topic. Since Batik design is a little intricate and complicated for kids to understand so I decided to lean more towards creating simple geometric shapes to represent batik.
Fig 1.2 Visual reference

♡ After knowing which direction I want to go for, I sketched a rough idea of how I want my Happy Meal packaging to look like.

Fig 1.3 Rough sketch

PROGRESS ( 06/10/2022 ) :  
♡ After the feedback session, Mr Shamsul mentioned that my idea was good to go but he told me to only choose either wau or batik. He also suggested that I could include a step by step guide of how to make wau if I were to choose it as my topic. However, after further research I found that trying to illustrate how to make wau is too complicated as there are too many steps so I'm afraid kids would not understand the concept of it.

Fig 1.5 How to make a wau (looks complicated), source

♡ My final topic chosen is batik. I started another rough sketch of how I wanted the batik to look like on the Happy Meal Packaging

Fig 1.5 Batik rough sketch

PROGRESS ( 13/10/2022 ) :  
♡ After the feedback session, I was told to change my art direction to fit more towards kids so I began to do another round of research. I found that though it is not uncommon to have animals on batik in Malaysia, some batik makers choose not to include them due to religious reasons (source). I decided to go with the idea of creating sea creatures batik as it it easily recognisable by kids.

Fig 2.1 Example of sea creature batik in Malaysia

♡ Then, I started to design my happy meal packaging. Because it was harder to recreate the 'batik watercolour effect', I had to draw the elements seperately using Adobe Fresco and its' watercolour brush to create the watercolour vibe. 

Fig 2.2 Adobe Fresco design process

Fig 2.3 Overall of my elements

♡ With all the necessary elements done, I started to experiment with different design placements.

Fig 2.4 Experimenting design placements

Fig 2.5 Experimenting (2)

♡ At this point I'm almost done with the packaging design. I was trying to figure out which colour for the MCD smile suits best for my design. I wanted to maintain the yellow as it is McDonald's brand colour but it clashes with my design so I decided to go with dark blue instead to match the theme of the Happy Meal packaging which is (underwater) sea creature batik.

Fig 2.6 MCD smile colour

FINAL PROJECT 1: 

Fig 3.1 FINAL Happy Meal Packaging Design

Fig 3.2 FINAL French fries packaging design

Fig 3.3 FINAL Happy Meal packaging (front & back)

Fig 3.4 FINAL Happy Meal (front)

Fig 3.5 FINAL Happy Meal (back)

Fig 3.6 FINAL French fries packaging (front & back)

Fig 3.7 FINAL French fries packaging (front)

Fig 3.8 FINAL French fries packaging (back)

FINAL PROJECT 1 SLIDES SUBMISSION:

<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sRZqzSNi8oDleBvfZtoCTbyBYAWESexG/preview" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>
Fig 4.1 FINAL Happy Meal Project 1 slides


FEEDBACKS 

Week 06 - 05/10/2022
Lecturer Feedback: 
- choose either wau or batik
- if I go for the topic wau, I can include instructions on kite making
- it will be difficult to recreate batik pattern so sir think its a good idea that i will be using simple geometry shapes to recreate the patterns
- for batik topic, i was also advised to only include informations that are simple for kids to understand
- sir thinks wau would be interesting but its up to me to choose

Week 07 - 12/10/2022
Lecturer Feedback:
- the message of my packaging must be direct since its for kids
- the idea is there but it doesn’t really scream batik
- maybe i could use animal batik prints instead since kids can relate more to animals rather than patterns 
- research more about batik and understand it so i can translate them into my design 



Comments

Popular Posts