Advanced Typography Final Compilation and Reflection


01/04/2022 - 01/07/2022 / Week1 - 14
Ellyn Saw Mei Hui / 0353358
Bachelor of Designs (Hons) in Creative Media 
Advanced Typography Final Compilation and Reflection


LINKS
♡ All lectures and recordings completed in 
AdTypo_Task 01 - Exercises

♡ Task 01

 Task 02

 Task 03

INSTRUCTIONS 
<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/17VaIOdq3wHU7TwoEiPXCyTZDDFDKcqzF/preview" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>

TASK 01 - EXERCISES :
♡ Week 01 - 04, 01/04/2022 - 22/04/2022

TOTAL TIME SPENT :
♡ Exercise 1 - Typographic Systems (36 hours)
♡ Exercise 2, Part A - Finding Type (21 hours)
♡ Exercise 2, Part B - Type and Image (7 hours)

TASK 01: EXERCISE 1 - Typographic Systems

Fig 1.1 Axial System, FINAL JPEG

Fig 1.2 Radial System, FINAL JPEG

Fig 1.3 Dilatational System, FINAL JPEG

Fig 1.4 Random System, FINAL JPEG

Fig 1.5 Grid System, FINAL JPEG

Fig 1.6 Transitional System, FINAL JPEG

Fig 1.7 Modular System, FINAL JPEG

Fig 1.8 Bilateral System, FINAL JPEG


<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XV8jlzI2Amq_VIYqfjk4lGCj9gtDqj_n/preview" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>
Fig 1.9 The 8 Typographic System, Final PDF.


<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZKWgruHE2mbOY-Ahc80ddzNqCSNkoBxl/preview" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>
Fig 1.10 The 8 Typographic System, Final PDF with grids and guides

TASK 01: EXERCISE 2 - Type and Play
♡ Part A, Finding Type

Fig 2.1 Psychedelic image from Google (for extraction)

Fig 8.4 Skecth & extraction PART A

Fig 8.5  Skecth & extraction PART B
Fig 2.2 Compilation of type progression (FINAL)

Fig 2.3 Comparison of extraction & final ver.

Fig 2.4 Final Type Design

<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/18lq_7eFKhkSri4yYLgh5iUm52r61NKYV/preview" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>
Fig 2.5 Final type design PDF

♡ Part B, Type and Image

Fig 3.1 type & play FINAL JPEG

Fig 3.2 type & play comparison FINAL

<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AVP6t3e4FRyr-U4xb0SsX261Pr0OMLfH/preview" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>
Fig 3.3 Type & Play FINAL PDF (original & manipulated image)

TASK 02 - KEY ARTWORK & COLLATERAL:
♡ Week 05 - 08, 29/04/2022 - 20/05/2022

TOTAL TIME SPENT :
♡ Task 2A - Key Artwork (36 hours)
♡ Task 2B - Collateral (48 hours)

TASK 2A: KEY ARTWORK
Occupation: Florist
Organiser: Ellyn Saw
Event: Eternal Serene - Flower exhibition
Slogan: Come and Enjoy the Spring Breeze!

Fig4.1 FINAL key artwork JPEG

Fig 4.2 FINAL key artwork (coloured) JPEG

Fig 4.3 FINAL key artwork simulation JPEG


<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WqDxYMMdd9ZIkdYeL5WwShk7xm7qmaXB/preview" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>
Fig 4.4 FINAL Task 2A_PDF

TASK 2B: COLLATERAL

Fig 5.1 FINAL poster design JPEG

Fig 5.2 FINAL poster mockup JPEG

Fig 5.3 FINAL poster on different mockups JPEG

Fig 5.4 FINAL animated invite (GIF)

Fig 5.5 FINAL ticket collateral design (front - day1) JPEG

Fig 5.6 FINAL ticket collateral design (front - day2) JPEG

Fig 5.7 FINAL ticket collateral design (behind) JPEG

<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LMWGUA1RT6tDI7ptzjGxU8fqzEZRge0y/preview" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>
Fig5.8 FINAL Task 2B_PDF

Fig 5.9 FINAL flat lay JPEG

Fig 5.10 Task 2A & 2B compilation JPEG


<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/12_2fZ0C075SuxK-sjlXioQ8vOStTapRa/preview" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>
Fig 5.11 Task 2A & 2B compilation_PDF

TASK 03: DESIGN EXPLORATION & APPLICATION
♡ Week 09/10 - 13, 27/05/2022 - 24/06/2022

TOTAL TIME SPENT :
♡ Task 03 (57 hours)

The idea is to create a full set of typeface inspired by a font used in one of NCT Dream's (a k-pop group) album releases. I wanted to do this idea because I thought the font looked unique, so it should be fun trying to develop a full set of typeface. 

TASK 03: DESIGN EXPLORATION & APPLICATION


Fig 6.1 FINAL beatbox type JPEG

<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vqcXSxAqFm0wZVflYpfkzcsmCdp-vRte/preview" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>
Fig 6.2 FINAL beatbox type PDF

Fig 6.3 FINAL A3 poster JPEG (coloured)

Fig 6.4 FINAL A3 poster JPEG (monochromatic ver)

Fig 6.5 FINAL A3 poster mockup JPEG (coloured) 

Fig 6.6 FINAL A3 poster mockup JPEG (monochromatic) 

Fig 6.7 FINAL keychain JPEG

Fig 6.8 FINAL keychain front & back JPEG

Fig 6.9 FINAL mug coloured & outlined JPEG

Fig 6.10 FINAL T-shirt (black and white) JPEG

Fig 6.11 FINAL acid wash T-shirt (light and dark) JPEG

Fig 6.12 FINAL Bucket hats JPEG

Fig 6.13 FINAL Sugar pop star coaster JPEG

TASK 03 - DESIGN EXPLORATION & APPLICATION COMPILATION

Fig 7.1 FINAL task 03 compilation JPEG


<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qpiIsqHCu0YWgrEgH3SlCz6R6jJK9t2K/preview" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>
Fig 7.2 FINAL TASK 03 PDF

TOTAL TIME SPENT ON ALL TASKS :
♡ Exercise 1 - Typographic Systems (36 hours)
♡ Exercise 2, Part A - Finding Type (21 hours)
♡ Exercise 2, Part B - Type and Image (7 hours)
♡ Task 2A - Key Artwork (36 hours)
♡ Task 2B - Collateral (48 hours)
♡ Task 3 - Design Exploration and Application  (57 hours)

= 205 hours


REFLECTIONS :  
Experience -
Prior to this, I didn't take the typography module so I'm unsure about the workload difference but Advanced typography definitely felt more difficult. I only have knowledge of typography through my diploma so experiencing this module definitely allowed me to gain more insights into typography, more specifically with type design. The tasks for this module were enjoyable to me, especially tasks like arranging types and making layouts.  I wasn't really interested in typography before but this module made me realise how interesting typeface construction could be. I also liked how this module gave us the freedom to explore and create designs based on our interests. Especially in Task2A&B, it really gave us the room to experiment more (and discover?) with our own style. All in all, I had a good experience throughout this module. Though things were quite difficult at times (burnt-out moments), I still managed to be strong and pulled through the entire semester.

Observations - 
I observed that it takes me much longer to complete tasks like constructing typefaces compared to making or arranging layout designs. Longer in the sense that I had to sit down and take some time to think about how I wanted to go about that task. Whereas for arranging layout, etc the idea just pop up to my mind naturally. I also observed (personally) that I would feel demotivated to continue my work if I receive some criticism about it. That's why in my previous individual reflection I mentioned that perseverance is key. After observing this issue about myself, I trained myself to be resilient. No matter how difficult it gets, I told myself I have to continue in order to reach the goal that I was aiming for. Besides that, I also observed that it is important to read up on books/articles or posts regarding the design industry since it can greatly benefit us when working on our tasks.

Findings - 
I found that there are a few aspects to consider when designing a brand/logo. It takes much consideration and works to successfully portray the brand identity/ brand message. Secondly, I also found that I'm still (a little) bad at dealing with criticism. This is something that I have to overcome and work my way through since I know it gets much worse if I'm stepping into the working industry. Apart from design findings, proper time management is also another valuable takeaway from this module/semester. I struggled with some parts since a few of the subjects I took this semester had heavy workloads. Learning from my mistakes, I began to allocate and manage my time properly by using a planner to track my progress. This was a lifesaver since it allowed me to successfully complete everything by the given deadline. 



Comments

Popular Posts